Minutes of the Monthly Meeting
July 14, 2016
Venue: Badlands Boulder Ridge Community Center, Watford City, ND
Donated by: Nuverra Environmental Solutions, Inc.
July sponsor: Dakota Horizon Environmental
Ted Garling: Opening greeting and announcements.
New attendees who are willing to be added to the MonDaks' emailing list - go to MonDaksSafety.org, click Join Us or go to Contact.
James O'Dwyer: Safety Briefing and Safety Moment.
Safety suggestion is that trailer hitches sticking out from the rear bumper of pickup pose a tripping/bumping hazard. The hitch should be removed when not in use.
- Bakken Picnic at Mandaree and Stanley next week on Wednesday and Thursday.
- Dickinson API Golf scramble is scheduled for August 20 and 21, 2016, the Catfish Fry will be held Friday August 19 at the Hockey Building in Dickinson.
- Eric Giguere will be speaking in Williston at the Skateland Gym on the campus of Williston State College tonight at 7 p.m. Eric suffered a traumatic work-related injury and speaks on his experiences. He presents in a way the average worker can relate. He has a powerful message.
John Bruch – Crown Compliance Advisors LLC
Eric Brooks – OSHA, Area Director - Bismarck Area
has a background in safety, he speaks on Fatigue Management and Distracted Driving and shares lots of stories of his experiences.
- Fatigue causes distraction for drivers and workers;
- Health issues such as Sleep Apnea adds to fatigue;
- Fatigue causes slow reaction time, loss of awareness, poor judgment and difficulty controlling emotions;
- Economic cost of moderate to severe Obstructive Sleep Apnea in the USA is $65-165 billion
- Distracted driving is caused by texting, talking on the phone, adjusting the radio, stress issues relating to family and finances.
In 2014 3,179 people were killed in the USA due to distracted driving.
Eric Brooks spoke on the upcoming US/EU Bakken Safety Tour of Hydraulic Fracturing to take place in the Bakken Oilfield in the end of August. The visitors want to witness an active fracking site and this tour will take approximately 8 UK people to nearby locations. 10 US people will be leading the event including Eric Brooks and Eric Genet.
The next MonDaks Safety Network meeting is August 11, 2016.