Minutes of the Monthly Meeting
October 12, 2017
Venue: MSU Extension Richland County, Sidney, MT
Donated by: MSU Extension Richland County
October sponsor: BOS Solutions
Rich Simmons - Fort Berthold Services
Roy Boesflug - OSHA – Billings Area Office
Art Hazen - OSHA – Billings Area Office
Rich Simmons presented information about the transportation industry and how it’s the “life blood” of the Bakken Oil Field.
In 2014 there were 100,000 trucks on the road in the Bakken.
With growth there are many challenges in the transportation industry.
MTCC can be a guiding force when it comes to dealing with growth. They bring knowledge and resources to the table.
A Power Point from NIOSH was presented and includes the following information related to the trucking and transportation industry:
Types of Fatalities:
Types of vehicles involved:
- Seat Belts are key in reducing fatalities
- Properly training employees reduces fatalities
- Smaller companies do not monitor drivers like larger companies due to cost
- Lack of education regarding regulation
- Industry needs to address driver fatigue. Cognition decreases with lack of sleep
- 15-20 percent of crashes involve fatigue
Fatigue and the transportation industry:
PEOPLE NEED TO STOP DRIVING TIRED!
Signing of OSHA Montana Alliance
Art Hazen and Roy Boesflug spoke about the signing of an alliance for North Dakota and Montana OSHA.